CAM Spring Conference: Topics in Classical Pedagogy
Saturday May 6, 2017
10 AM – 2 PM
Westwood High School
CAM Meeting FALL 2011
The fall CAM meeting was held on Saturday, October 29 (11:45 a.m.) at the Sturbridge Host Hotel in conjunction with the fall MaFLA conference. Madelyn Gonnerman Torchin facilitated the opening of the meeting which was then moderated by Doug Ryan (Past President).
The business items that were discussed were:
1. Treasurer’s Report ($1433.17 in account)
2. The need for Regional Representatives (raised by Joe Davenport)
3. Upcoming events: CANE writing contest (Dec. 15)
MaFla (CAM co-sponsored) Diversity Day (May 5, 2012)
CANE Summer Institute, (July 9-14, 2012)
ACL Convention, (June 2012 – Las Vegas)
CANE Annual Meeting, (March 16, 17-St. Sebastian’s School)
Classics Day, (Dec. 8 – Boston University)
JCL State Convention, (April 27-29 – Barnstable)
- The need to update the website; Lydia Haile Fassett was appointed to update the site.
- Create and maintain an electronic newsletter; Sherley Blood and Nancy Antonellis were appointed to this task.
- Discussion and suggestions for updating and maintaining the membership list
- The slate of officers nominated and approved were: Ken Rothwell (Vice-President), Tamara Bauer (Treasurer/2 year term), Brenda Cook (Secretary/4 year term)
Sara Honig was recognized with a plaque for the Excellence in Teaching Award, which was presented by Madelyn Gonnerman Torchin.
Doug Ryan concluded the meeting with a presentation about the deification of leaders in ancient Rome as well as in America.
CAM Meeting SPRING 2010
Saturday, April 10, 2010 UMASS-Amherst.
The schedule was as follows:
10:00-10:30 – Arrival and Continental Breakfast
10:30 – “Putting the Pieces Together: Applying Archaeological Evidence.”
UMass Alumnus and Latin teacher Andrew Carroll discussds his experiences working on archaeological digs in Italy and how to interpret the evidence once uncovered.
11:30 – “Roman Water Systems: A Modern Environmental Perspective.”
CAM President Doug Ryan discussed Roman public waterworks with a goal in mind to provide teachers with some ideas to motivate their students to consider ecological issues by looking at the effects of Roman aqueducts, baths, and sewers on the environment.
12:30 – Lunch and Business Meeting Doug Ryan, CAM President
-Ratification of New Officers
-Business for next year
1:45 – Tips from the Trenches: UMass MAT Students Present
UMass MAT students presented practical tips on teaching aspects of Latin language or grammar. The audience was given handouts and instructions enabling them to use the techniques demonstrated in their own classrooms immediately.